June 19, 2004

How to tell my parents that I'm leaving for Mindanao

As many of my friends already know, I'll soon be resigning from my work in JVP in order to pursue my dream of doing area-based work in Mindanao. It's been a long time coming and I'm really excited to do this. I've already started looking for prospective organizations to apply in. One has already offered me a job . So basically, go-na-go na ako. I've been planning this for months now, and most of the people around me know about this already.

There's the rub though, I said "most of the people around me" know about my plan. My parents don't know about this.

I think, right now, they're really hoping I'd go corporate already and get on with the pursuit of fame and fortune which they have always dreamed for me. Of course, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if at all.

So the question now is, "How do I break it to my parents that they're son is not only going to leave the house, but will be doing 2 things that they strenuously object to, namely: do area work and do it in Mindanao?

My sister suggested some options to me the other day:

1. Make a personalized card where I write "Dear Mom and Dad... Love, Ron". Then there's a picture of me doing a Puss-In-Boots sparkling eyes impression.

2. Take my parents out to dinner. Then while at dinner, I drop the bomb on them "Magtatrabaho na ako sa Mindanao". And then my parents will go ballistic and hysterical "Ha?! Huwag ka magbibiro ng ganyan?... *growl*... Wala kang kuwentang anak!!!... Hindi pala kami importante sa iyo!!!... *flood of tears*... Hindi puwede!"

...

Then all of a sudden, Carlos Agassi comes in with a camera crew and shouts to my parents "Victim!"

...

Then when my parents are just about to believe it was all a joke, I'd whisper "Hindi, totoo talaga."

3. My dad always likes it if we rephrase things. He doesn't like it if we tell him something he wouldn't like to hear directly. So I'll go to my dad and say "Dad, alam mo yun Lord of the Rings diba? Diba si Frodo he had to go off to a far away place in order to fulfill a destiny that will forever define him as a person?"

Short pause.

"Dad, ako si Frodo!"

Perplexed look on my Dad's face. "Ron, hindi ka ba naka-Ecstasy?"

---------------------

Hold the presses! I've just had a Divine Inspiration.

What if my dad suddenly decides to visit my blog now, that'll save me a lot of trouble. Hmmm...