February 12, 2004

on forgiveness

I had recently been updated about what has been going on in my apostolate area, the Aeta community of Sitio Maporak. The Mayor of Cabangan (Maporak is located in Cabangan, Zambales) has always been oppressive (sometimes subtly, sometimes openly) towards the people in Sitio Maporak. Now, I heard he's allowed quarrying near the community. The river along the sitio(which I always enjoy crossing) had almost dried up because of the dumping of sand and rock. There are now barbed wires and bolldozers everywhere around the area. They even almost bulldozed some of the houses in Maporak, among other things.

It made me really upset and angry when I found out about this. This is what I emailed a friend of mine about what I was feeling at that time:

" kuya ubit,

kakabasa ko lang ng update mo. salamat sa update ha.

sa totoo lang, gusto ko nang magmura sa galit dahil sa mga naikuwento mong kawalanghiyaan na ginagawa nanaman ni mayor sa Maporak... naiinis talaga ako.

Alam mo, naniniwala naman ako na "innately" mabuti ang lahat ng tao --- pero
kapag nakakakita ako ng taong lantarang nang-aabuso ng iba, napapatanong talaga ako sa sarili ko kung paano makakagawa ng kung anu-anong kasamaan ang isang nilalang na "by nature" ay mabuti.

haay...

Naalala ko tuloy yun sabi ng isang kaibigan ko, "You have to forgive to be
able to do God's work. It's only in believing in the goodness in everyone that we realize that there really is hope."

...

Minsan, mahirap din magpatawad.

Ron

p.s. sorry kung ang drama ko. "

I pray that God overwhelms Mayor with His love.