September 18, 2004

a star is born

I am destined for stardom. I am sooooooooo sure of it. The signs are all here.

I didn't realize, until recently that I had so much musical talent. I found that I sing and play guitar well. And what's more cool is that --- I can sing AND play guitar at the same time. The only thing that was really keeping me from tapping into this hidden spring of artictic skill was the mistaken belief that my performances were only supposed to be reserved for the shower.

I first discovered this talent only three years ago. I was coming from a heartbreak and I had so much emotion I needed to let out. It was then that playing guitar and composing songs became my outlet. (Side note: What I realized from this is that the stupider the songs I compose, the more fun I have. I guess that's why I love Parokya Ni Edgrar so much. I have all of their albums... but that's beside the point). It felt good and it felt right to make music. The more often I played, the keener my ear for music got. What I didn't realize then was that, with the improvement of my listening came the improvement of my singing. I was starting to really sing and play.

After this, opportunities for me to perform started presenting themselves to me. There was this time that I was asked (on the spot) to sing and play in one of the conferences I coordinated. It was the first time I got to perform with a band backing me up. There were also lots of other times I got to play solo. It's so fun to play for people. I guess, in a sense, I can relate with the people on TV or on stage. There is just this energy up there that I can't explain.

These days, I've become a little more proactive with my performances. I've now been able to drag my friends into this. One time, my friends Ian, Tonichi, Allan, and I went to Dencio's Restaurant in Capitol Hills. First, we bought ourselves a round of beer, the purpose of which is to take away the restaurant's right to throw us out after what we were about to do next. Right there on our table, Tonichi brought out his bonggo drums and I took out my guitar, and all of us started to have a concert. Although we had some alcohol, our singing wasn't the kind you'll hear from drunk men walking on the streets at night. No, there was blending and there was soul. Too bad I'm nearsighted because I wanted to see if the chicks on the other table were checking me out (Now that I think about it, that's actually a great way to meet chicks. Start playing a few songs then ask them if they'd like to make a request, or better, if they'd like to sing while I play... the guitar, not with them. But that's not a bad idea also). Audience participation is always good. I asked the waitress if she wanted to sing, but she just smiled and never came back to our table.

Last night was probably my best performance ever. I took my sister Janis out to Papa Jek's restaurant. It was her birthday. Anyway, I asked the band if I could jam with them and they let me. I sang and played "Wherever You Will Go" and "Bongga Ka Day", which I dedicated to my sister. The songs weren't randomly picked. The first was a goodbye song cuz I was leaving Manila soon and the other was because Janis is ...well.. bongga. The girl vocalist said she thinks I'm sweet and cute for what I did. She kept on pinching my cheeks like a baby while I was singing. I think she has a crush on me. Too bad though cuz she's not my type. Janis said I really sounded nice on stage. It's like watching Alex Bann perform, but with your eyes closed. I believe my sister. She wouldn't just tell me that just to make me feel good. She's honest, and she doesn't see me with motherly eyes.

I've been taking bolder and bolder steps now with regard to my musical career. I wonder how far I'll get. Now that I think about it, I have the makings of a star. I've got the looks, the wit, the confidence, and most importantly, the talent to be a great performer. Maybe I'll take the next inevitable step now --- forming myself a band. I can think of band names already: The Ron Lorenzo Band, Patatas Experience (PX for short), or P3, short for Pure Patatas Power (in honor of my brother who looks like a potato).

Wow! I'm on a roll. No sense stopping now. Watch out world! A star is born.